In the late summer and fall of 1811, William Henry Harrison, then Governor of the Indiana Territory, organized a military expedition against the increasing menace of the federation of Indian tribes being formed by the Shawnee twin brothers and chiefs, Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa, also known as the Prophet.
Harrison met with representatives of the Prophet on November 6, 1811 when he arrived at Prophetstown. He presented demands in the name of his government. Harrison set up his encampment on a ridge about a mile northwest of Prophet’s Town. Fearing a surprise attack by the cunning Prophet’s forces, General Harrison placed his troops in battle formation and instructed his men to sleep fully clothed to be ready for attack.
On November 7, 1811, early in the morning, the camp was indeed attacked by the Prophet. After an epic battle, Harrison and his army defeated the Prophet’s Indian confederation at the Battle of Tippecanoe. The defeat pretty much ended the Indian wars in the Midwest.
Battle Ground was consolidated in 1867 with the Town of Harrisonville. The governments of both towns decided to name the consolidation Battle Ground. The Town of Battle Ground was named for the Battle of Tippecanoe and the Town of Harrisonville was named after William Henry Harrison.