Don’t be afraid to get creative
and experiment with your marketing.

Mike Volpe

Delaware Kansas Reservation

Delaware Kansas Reservation

Grinter Place

Grinter Place is a house on the National Register of Historic Places above the Kansas River in the Muncie neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas.
The house was constructed by Moses Grinter where he and his half-Lenape (Delaware) wife lived until he died in 1878 and she in 1905. 
Grinter  wife’s Indian name was “Windagamen,” which meant “Sweetness.” 
She was one of a couple dozen Delaware women who became U.S. citizens when the territory became a state. 
  Near this place, the Delaware Crossing (or “Military Crossing”; sometimes “the Secondine’”) allowed passage from the old Indian trail where it met the waters of the Kaw River. 
Around 1831, Grinter, one of the earliest permanent white settlers in the area, set up the Grinter Ferry on the Kansas River here. His house, the Grinter Place, still stands at 1420 South 78th Street.


  The ferry was used by individuals such as traders, freighters and soldiers traveling between Fort Leavenworth and Fort Scott on the military road. Others would cross this area on their way to Santa Fe. The area was home to the first non-military post office in Kansas.

 Moses Grinter  played such a central part in the lives of the Delaware as a trader and ferry operator. His place of business and residence were the center of activity of the Delaware residence in Kansas. Being married to a Delaware woman, he was also a part of their social and family activities.